Be Burns Aware
Burn & Scald accidents can be horrific and very painful. They not only cause physical injuries but can often result in psychological trauma. This can be particularly true for young people who often struggle with body image and self confidence.
Support For Burns Survivors
The Scottish Burned Children’s Club is an organisation that support burns survivors. They came on a residential to Bendrigg this year with the aim to :
- Bring burns survivors together so they don’t feel alone in what they are going through.
- Provide opportunities to make new friends and relax in an environment where they feel safe and comfortable.
- Through trying new activities and facing fears they overcome things independently and with the support of others, building confidence and trust in relationships with the people around them.
- Burns survivors can often have intensive periods of medical treatment, operations and other procedures. An annual camp is a great chance for everyone to let loose and have fun again!
Our latest video in the Adventure For All Series follows the Scottish Burned Children’s Club on their week residential at Bendrigg. It’s amazing to see all the participants growing in confidence as they face their fears and take on new challenges, and is such a positive step forward to helping them rebuild their self esteem. They also had such a lot of fun, experiencing all that a residential and the great outdoors has to offer!
I don’t think our burns are what make us unique, it’s just who we are. It’s a mark that’s part of who we are and where we came from – Craig, SBCC
Burns Awareness and Prevention
Did You Know…
Prevention and good first aid are key to reducing the number of burns and scalds occurring in the UK every single day.
- 7071 Children were seriously burned or scalded in 2018
- Young children and the elderly are most vulnerable
- The majority of accidents occur as a result of an accident that could easily be prevented
- Scalds from Hot Drinks are the most common burn injury to children
- Electric Hobs, Hair Straighteners, Bowl Spills, Irons & Fireworks are some of the other common causes of serious burns and scalds.
Take Care This Festive Season…
Watching fireworks is great fun. But taking care is important especially as children are more likely to get hurt by fireworks than adults. Here are some simple things that can help to reduce the risk to your family.
Children under five are too young to safely hold a sparkler and don’t really understand why they might be dangerous. Avoid giving them one to hold.
Babies or Children can wriggle in your arms and reach out unexpectedly. Avoid holding a baby or child when you have a sparkler in your hand.
Children over five will still need you to supervise them when they use sparklers. It’s safest if they wear gloves when they’re holding them. They might seem like “fireworks lite” but sparkles can reach a temperature of 2000 degrees Celsius! Have a bucket of water handy to put them in so that no-one can pick up a hot one off the ground. Teach them not to wave sparklers near anyone else or run with them.
Remember… Always hold sparklers at arms length & wear gloves when handling them, follow the age guidance above and always put sparklers in a bucket of water when they go out so that no-one an pick a hot one off the ground.
Most firework injuries happen at family parties or private displays, so understanding the dangers of fireworks can prevent injuries and in some cases save lives.
- Avoid wearing loose or potentially flammable clothing
- Always wear gloves when handling sparklers and fireworks
- Always have buckets of water ready to put out small fires or to cool sparklers
- Make sure children are supervised around fireworks and bonfires
- Never drink alcohol if you’re setting off fireworks
- Keep animals indoors and close curtains – frightened animals running around can cause accidents
- Only purchase fireworks that are sold by a registered seller
- Follow instructions carefully and light fireworks at arm’s length
- Ensure spectators stand back from bonfires and fireworks
- Never go back to a firework that has been lit – even if it hasn’t gone off
First Aid Advice – The 3 C’s
- COOL the burn with a running cold tap water for 20 minutes and remove all clothing and jewellery (unless it is melted or firmly stuck to the wound)
- CALL for help 999
- COVER with clingfilm or a sterile non-fluffy dressing or cloth. Making sure the injured person is kept warm.
Don’t… burst blisters or apply creams or lotions.
For more detailed information about the treatment and prevention of burns and scalds please visit the NHS website : www.nhs.uk/conditions/burns-and-scalds/
Other Sources of Information
Information for this blog post has been written with guidance from the following sources.
Changing Faces www.changingfaces.org.uk
Scottish Burned Children’s Club www.theburnsclub.org.uk,
Children’s Burns Trust www.cbtrust.org.uk
CAPT (Child Accident Prevention Trust) www.capt.org.uk
NHS website : www.nhs.co.uk
Why not check out our other Adventure For All Videos? Click here
Or find out more about our residential courses